The update should be ready within the next few hours, and when I'm uploading the changes to the website (you'll know it from the maintenance message) nobody will be able to access their game or log in for a few hours. Because of this I ask that nobody access their accounts again until I say they word else you might lose progress in your game file. I will update this post once the update is actually live and everyone can use it to comment, but until then please be patient. So excited and thank you all for waiting! :DThe update is now live and appears to be working without too many bugs or issues. There were a few abilities that didn't make it in time and there are many robot quotes/classes that I've yet to copy over, but for all intents and purposes the Meganificent Update is finally complete and ready for everyone to enjoy. I will write up a lengthy post of all the new features at a later date, but right now I just need some sleep. >_>
Please play around with the new features, missions, and characters and let me/us know in the comments about all the stuff you find like/dislike/etc. I want to see how much you guys can figure out on your own - changes and/or new features - before I give you the answers and tell you how to unlock everyone. :P I hope you all enjoy and let me know what you think!Now that I've had a week to recover from the long, grueling process that was this update I can finally post about all the new features and fix any bugs reported over the week. I'm pretty sure I've fixed all the ones reported so far (and I'll respond to the appropriate threads later) but if you notice anymore please post here or in the Bugs forum. :) Other than that, please let me give you a list of the new additions and feature to keep you eye out for in this update:
Mega Man 4 Update : Key Features & Additions
1. Bass has been completed and added to the main game under Dr. Wily's control 2. Dr. Cossack is now unlockable and Proto Man has been transferred to him from Dr. Wily 3. Rhythm, a new support robot, has been completed an added to the game under Dr. Cossack's control 4. Roll is now unlockable in Dr. Light's game after experiencing 1 failure 5. Disco is now unlockable in Dr. Wily's game after experiencing 2 failures 6. Rhythm is now unlockable in Dr. Cossack's game after experiencing 3 failures 7. All Mega Man 4 robot masters have been completed and make up Dr. Cossack's campaign, thanks to Sean Adamson 8. The structure of campaigns for all three doctors has been changed and all mission progress had to be reset 9. The main campaigns of each player have been shorted, and all story-related dialogue has been removed for the sake of brevity 10. Players and their missions are now unlocked in rotating order to make progression more interesting 11. Each player's mission start off at different levels, meaning Dr. Light's game is easiest and Cossack's hardest 12. The Bonus Field mission is now dynamic and the level of appearing robots is based on your current lineup's 13. All three hero robots have been given two more level-up abilities with varying usefulness and power levels 14. Robot masters can now only be unlocked by defeating them on their home field with only neutral abilities 15. Item drops now occur immediately after disabling a target and not just at the end of battle 16. The items a target may drop is dependant on the stage it is fought on with tougher stages yielding better items 17. Defeating a target in one hit will double the chance of that target dropping an item 18. Items can be used immediately after they are collected in battle allowing for more strategy 19. If a target is defeated with more power than required, you will earn overkill which increases experience points 20. Each of the three support robots now specialize in a different ability type, and the field boosters have been given to the doctors instead 21. Roll now specializes in Boost and Support abilities, and when she uses them she can aim them at any of her teammates 22. Disco now specializes in Break and Assault abilities, and when she uses them she can aim them at any of her opponents 23. Rhythm now specializes in Swap and Shuffle abilities, and when she uses them she can aim them at any of her opponents 24. All robot master fields now have their own unique type of mecha that appears in the background - no more Mets! 25. Mechas from the background can now appear in battle and each have exactly one ability they'll use against their target 26. The mechas that will appear in a stage are not shown on the main menu anymore and are more like "random encounters" 27. Mecha abilities cannot be copied using the Copy Shot, but a special ability called "Mecha Support" allows you to summon your own 28. All robot master field mechas come in three varieties called "generations" which appear in different colours with different power levels 29. The generation of mechas that appear in battle are randomized based on how many times the mission has been completed, getting more powerful 30. Fusion fields, naturally, will have mechas from both base fields appearing in battle, allowing them to appear together randomly 31. When using Mecha Support, the type, generation, and level of the summoned mecha are randomized and based on the current field conditions 32. The three Mega Man Killers have been added to the final stages of the game, one for each doctor, but do not have unique abilities yet (sorry) 33. The final battle that contains an 8vs8 now has the robot master order shuffled to keep it interesting 34. Mission victory and failure results are now tracked in detail and records can be seen by hoving over the mission in the main menu 35. Robots in Attack/Defense/Speed break will now recover at 1 unit per turn when on the bench 36. Robots in the active position automatically recover 1 unit of weapon energy per turn, but robots on the bench recover 2 units 37. Robot mugshots have been removed from the leaderboard and pages have been separated for website loading speed :| 38. All field multipliers have been revised to be more interesting, thanks to Brorman 39. Completing the intro field more than 8 times in any campaign will no longer unlock Met, but something else... 40. Robots and players that appear on the field not have shadows! Hopefully this isn't too resource intensive... 41. Robots now "rotate" backwards when hit by an attack based on kickback values for more (cartoon) realism 42. Benched robots now take reduced damage when by hit an attack based on their distance from the attacker - the farther away the target is the less damage the attack will do
Aaaaaand that's all I can think of at the moment. I'll update this post if I can think of anymore changes, and thank you all for playing!
Mega Man 4 : The Meganificent Update Posted by Ageman20XX on October 11th, 2013 at 11:23pm Viewed 3272 Times
Posted on October 12th, 2013 at 8:47amEdited on 2013/10/12 at 9:42am
Posted 2013/10/12 at 8:47amEdited 2013/10/12 at 9:42am
Absolutely amazing. Loving it so far, and I'm only done with chapter 3 in all campaigns. It's all around so very great that I won't list all the things I like. Thank you for all the hard work you have put into this, the result is really amazing.
But hey, you'll get a bug report and a balancing suggestion. Sorry :P
So the bug, you can break the mission unlocking sequence:
Might have something to do with me unlocking Cossack instantly, and then I did his missions first so I'm kinda progressing in reverse? Oh well.
And Skull Barrier is just quite overpowered, in my opinion.
(Also thanks for using that name for the update)
EDIT: Of course, a replay button for completed missions would be pretty great.
So yeah, I just received a nice little piece of info from Adrian:
Hey, could you let everyone know in the comments that you have to beat a boss with only neutral abilities (not just the buster shot) to unlock them and you can still use other abilities on the mechas, just not the boss. Also OHKOs increase item drop chance. Thanks!
Posted on October 19th, 2013 at 9:24pmEdited on 2013/10/19 at 10:25pm
Posted 2013/10/19 at 9:24pmEdited 2013/10/19 at 10:25pm
@Brorman : Thank you so much for your posts while I've been away. I had to get away from the game for a while to prevent myself from going insane or burning myself out completely. :P Spreading the essential information to the other players was very helpful, and I'm sorry if it seemed like I was barking orders at you over email - I just knew you'd be online. :) I believe I've fixed the bug reported in your post, but I'll have to your suggestion for the Skull Barrier under consideration. Thanks again! (EDIT: Also, the replay feature is something I've considered too - glad to know we're on the same wavelength! ^_^)
@Shadownnico : Thank you so much for your kind works! I worked incredibly hard on this, as did Brorman and everyone involved with the Mega Man 4 content - I'm really glad you and everyone else are enjoying it. ^_^
@Avocadora : You're very welcome! I want you to know I was thinking of you the whole time I was designing Rhythm - I think Mega Man classic needs more female robots and I'm glad I was able to contribute to the universe with (what I hope will be) a fun and unique character. :)
Thank you everyone again, and I'm so happy you all like it! I think I've fixed most of the bugs reported and I'll update the main post soon with more info!
A new mechanic has been added to the game and it has the potential to change many existing strategies. From now on, benched robots will take reduced damage from attacks based on their distance from the attacker. Robots in the active position have their damage calculated normally, but robots on the bench will now take less damage the farther back on the bench they are.
Each of the eight predefined slots on the bench have a different damage multiplier. The first slot (the one your first active robot retreats to) takes only 90% of the total damage an active robot would take, the second slot takes 80%, the third takes 70%, and so on all the way until the eighth position which takes only 20% of the total damage.
I believe this new mechanic will be very interesting. It has the potential to make battles a little more difficult as far as defeating the enemy, but it also means that you can strategically position your own robots with the weakest one farthest away from the action and protect them from damage.
Please let me know what you all think and if you have any issues. I'm excited to finally add this functionality and I hope you all enjoy! ^_^
@milansaponja : Welcome to the community, and thanks for playing! ^_^
To answer your first question, new battles are unlocked after you have beaten all available missions in the other players' games. Meaning, if you complete all the missions in Dr. Light's game, Dr. Wily will get new ones. If you complete all the missions in Dr. Wily's, then Dr. Cossack will get new ones. Complete his and Dr. Light will get new ones, and so on and so on in a circle until you reach the end of the game. I can see on your missions page that you only have one Light battle left. After that's unlocked the others should follow (though maybe I should tweak that...).
As for experience, here are a few pointer for raising robots:
1. Landing super effective attacks boosts the experience multiplier for the stage by 10% every time you do it, and the effect lasts until the end of battle. Critical hits also have this effect. You can easily increase to 2x or 3x in the right conditions.
2. Be picky and take fewer robots into battle with you. Experience points are divided among all teammates, so if you take fewer with you they will each get more at a time. This way you can raise only the ones you really need first, and then use those ones later to power-level your weaker robots faster.
3. Try to get overkill as much as possible, as its converted directly into experience points. If the target has 10 life energy remaining and you try to deal 100 points of damage, the target will be disabled and the difference (90) will be added to your experience point bonus. It might not seem like it's worth it to use a powerful ability when the enemy only has a few hit points left, but it is.
4. Transfer your robots to another player! In the robot editor, click on the "Player" name (Dr. Light / Dr. Wily / Dr. Cossack) and you can transfer that robot to another player. This can be done any number of times with the only limit being that each player needs at least one robot. A robot that has been transferred gains 2x more experience points and can be taught abilities they would not normally learn, so it's very useful. :)
I like the idea of using the Yellow Devil and other large boss characters in the game someday. Once the code is ready for it, I will absolutely be adding some. :)
I think unlocking the robot masters near the same level as team members sounds like a good idea. I have to work out the details regarding what level they learn moves at (should it be affected at all?) but I think it might be a good thing to add in the future too.
Secret Mega Man X bosses would be great, I agree. Maybe someday! ;)
Also, my favourite robot would have to be Wood Man, but I also like Plant Man, Toad Man, then Snake Man too. :S I think I just like nature/green robot masters. ^_^ Thanks for asking.
Sorry to double post, but after watching a lot of Let's Play videos and reviewing everyone's robots on the leaderboard it's pretty obvious that people do not know you can transfer your robots to other players!
One of the most powerful features of the editor and transferring robots - not only does it double the experience a robot gets in battle, but it also allows for some very fun ability combinations. I just transferred my Oil Man over to Dr. Wily and was able to teach him Bubble Lead (because it's half Earth type)! Isn't that awesome?
If you want to transfer a robot, all you need is more than one player unlocked and you can click their name in the editor like below:
Posted on December 8th, 2013 at 4:57pmEdited on 2013/12/08 at 6:12pm
Posted 2013/12/08 at 4:57pmEdited 2013/12/08 at 6:12pm
I'd suggest unlocking fortress bosses after defeating them with neutral abilities and replacing the powered-up robot fight (with Mega Man/Proto Man/Bass S) with a battle against 4 of the fortress bosses: so I think Dr. Wily's campaign should get the Mecha Dragon, Gutsdozer, Alien, and Yellow Devil/Yellow Devil MKII. Dr. Cossack would get Mothraya and the Cockroach Twins (you'd only unlock one by defeating both), and I'd suggest giving him Dark Man 4 and Big Pets from Mega Man 5 since the Square Machine is basically a room that moves and the Cossack Catcher sucks. Now Dr. Light...there's one problem. He doesn't have a fortress. I'd say he gets Mr. X's bosses from Mega Man 6: the Rounder II (again, two of them, defeat both to unlock it), the Power Piston, Metonger Z, and X Crusher (yeah I know it's piloted by Mr. X, but it has its own eyes and as such it could be retconned in this game as having its own AI). That is, unless you planned on introducing Dr. Wily with sunglasses and a cape as a fourth character.